One habit that sticks to us since childhood is brushing twice a day. We think that if we continue this routine for the rest of our life, we won’t be plagued by dental problems. But it is time we burst this bubble to make you realize that good dental care is more than gliding a toothbrush across your teeth every day. With age, you can experience several dental problems such as sensitivity, painful gums, dry mouth etc. Luckily you can easily forestall these problems by taking good and regular care of your teeth and mouth. Here we mention 9 tips that can keep the smile intact on your face.
Teeth Care Tips - Soft Touch Dental Clinic San Diego
1. Adequate Calcium Intake – Calcium is a very important mineral for your teeth and gums and thus keeping your calcium intake high is essential. Make it a daily routine to start your day by adequately consuming food that is rich in calcium. A breakfast consisting of yogurt, crunchy whole-grain cereal and fresh fruits will ensure that you have adequate calcium intake.
2. Go Outdoors and Soak The Sunshine – Sunshine can do wonders to your health. It is especially useful as the Vitamin D (which we get from sun’s rays) helps us absorb the calcium. It is for this reason that you should make it a habit to regularly stay outdoors and exercise.
3. Increase Your Vitamin C Intake – If your Vitamin C intake is inadequate, you can immediately feel it’s repercussions in the form of many dental problems. Loose teeth and bleeding gums are two indications that your diet is deficient in vitamin C. To rectify this problem, increase your citrus intake.
4. Avoid Sugary Food – If you have a ‘sweet tooth’ you will have a hard time following this tip. But avoiding sugary food can ensure good dental health. Try to especially stay away from sticky food such as candy as they have high sugar content which can decay teeth easily.
5. Promote Saliva Production – Saliva plays a very important role in battling bacteria. It helps clear bacteria and cleanses the oral cavity. It is important that you consume food which promotes saliva production. Sour foods such as lemon, lime, cherries and cranberries helps increase the saliva production. You should also be careful that you drink lot of water and have good portion of fruits and vegetables.
6. Bite and Chew Crunchy Vegetables – Flossing may not always be possible, for various reasons. If today is one such day when you can’t find your floss, do not panic. You can get ample help from Mother Nature in the form of crunchy, hard vegetables such as carrots and apples. They help clean the teeth naturally!
7. Visit The Dentist Regularly – Though you might think you are taking ample care of your teeth, hidden bacteria and plaque can secretly be causing havoc. Make it a habit to visit your dentist every six months.
8. Rinse Your Mouth After Every Meal – It is a good practice to rinse your mouth with a mouthwash or water after every meal. This not only kills the germs but also prevents bad-breath.
9. Do Not Miss Brushing and Flossing Daily – Finally, do not give up the habit learnt in childhood of brushing your teeth twice daily. Also run the floss twice a day – everyday! Avoid eating bedtime snacks, especially after brushing your teeth.
If you want shining, healthy teeth for the rest of your life, there is no better time than now to take care of them. The above mentioned tips are simple and easy-to-follow so you have no reason not to.